Monday, September 6, 2010

言霊 (kotodama)

From Wikipedia, with links and special fonts removed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kotodama):
Kotodama or kototama (言霊, lit. "word spirit/soul") refers to the Japanese belief that mystical powers dwell in words and names. English translations include "soul of language", "spirit of language", "power of language", "power word", "magic word", and "sacred sound".

最近気に入っているポッドキャスト(学問のススメ)で武田双雲と言う書道家に出会った。彼は頻繁にTwitterを使い、毎日「武田双雲の言霊」をメールで配信している。言葉には命が宿していると信じ、それが全ての言動に露になっているのが双雲さん。彼の言葉を聞いて、毎日その言霊を読み、とても励まされている。その言霊をちょっとでも英訳して見て、分かち合いたいと思う。わぁっ!難しい!

(9/5/10)
美しい人間関係とは

頼り合わなくても

自立できている者同士が

信頼のもとに頼り合っている関係

サンクゼールワイナリー St. Cousair Winery

I discovered Sooun Takeda, a calligrapher, while listening to a podcast I have been enjoying recently (Gakumon no Susume). He frequently uses Twitter and a sends daily email called "Sooun Takeda's Kotodama" (see description from wikipedia, above). He believes that there is life in words and he shows this in all of his words and actions. I am constantly encouraged listening to him speak and reading his words daily. I'd like to translate and share some of his words here. Wow! This is going to be tough!

(9/5/10)
Beautiful human relationships:
When two independent individuals, not reliant upon each other
Relate to one another, based upon trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment